60% REDUCTION IN LANDFILLED WASTE
Eight councils that form part of the Southern Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (SSROC) have signed an agreement with Veolia for a long-term contract for the treatment of household waste across their local government areas, one that will keep tens of thousands of tons of waste away from landfill each year.
CREATING NEW JOBS
Veolia developed a solution that will both lower the public authority's operating costs and reduce its carbon footprint. The contract calls for building a new transfer center in Banksmeadow (a suburb southeast of Sydney) which will create 40 jobs, in addition to the 35 new jobs at the Woodlawn recycling facility.
Waste management is increasingly important to Sydney's future growth.
60% reduction in landfilled waste
- Higher recycling rates
- Lower costs
- Local job creation
- Logistics: Transfer of non-hazardous waste
- Waste separation: Conventional sorting, mechanical-biological sorting
- Recycling: Secondary raw materials recycled
- Energy recovery: Energy recovery facility
- Management and human capital: Personnel management, vocational training